A Brief History of Newlyn Street United Methodist Church
Dating back to the early 1920’s, the need for a Methodist church in the Greensboro area was expressed by the District Superintendent. Testing the waters so to speak in the summer of 1921, a tent was set up on Roseland Street by the Reverend Ambrose Burgess, who initially led the beginning of a revival, along with Mr. A.H. Hinshaw who led the singing. For two weeks, under the ministry of Reverend Jim Green and his colleagues, it was evident that FAITH IN GOD had become stronger, lost sinners were saved and that the community of McAdoo Heights was indeed ready for a Methodist Church.
On July 10, 1921, under the leadership of Reverend Burgess, members gathered in a small county schoolhouse on Roseland Street, later to be known as Grace Methodist Episcopal Church. Entering as part of a charge with Glenwood Methodist Episcopal Church, Grace also shared a charge with Walnut Street, Bethel and Lee’s Chapel churches. A short time later in 1922, a little brown church planted its roots on the corner of Roseland and Newlyn Street.
With a growing membership, an educational unit added in 1938. The following year on May 10, 1939 at a conference in Kansas City, Missouri, representatives of the Methodist Episcopal Church, along with South and The Methodist Protestant Church signed a declaration of union, marking an important day for all Methodists, uniting and becoming The Methodist Church. At the time, the First Church of the Protestant Methodist in Greensboro was also named Grace, thus agreeing to change the name and it then became what is now known as Newlyn Street United Methodist Church
Dreams became reality in 1953 under the leadership of Reverend L.E. Mabry, breaking ground for their new sanctuary, holding their first official service on March 7, 1954.
A final merging between The Methodist Church and The Evangelical Brethren Church, now known as The United Methodist Church, was approved at the General Conference in April of 1968.
To all who need comfort and friendship; to those in need of companionship;
to all who need sheltering love; to those who need a savior; and to whosoever will,
opens wide its doors and says
Methodism in the U.S. dates back to 1736 when John and Charles Wesley came to the New World to spread the movement they began as students in England. United Methodists share a historic connection to other Methodist and Wesleyan bodies.